Maroon 5 and Pachelbel

 




Let's go back to 2006 for a few minutes. There was the Sago Mine disaster. Saddam Hussein was found guilty of crimes against humanity. Steve Irwin died by a stingray. My Millennial friends and lovers were all in high school 🤣. Also, Rob Paravonian posted his Pachelbel Rant. Pachelbel has a lovely canon, why should there be a rant?

     I am the last person to criticize musicians for sampling. In Rap and Industrial music, it is done frequently. EDM, it can be argued, is a genre based on mixing and sampling. It can even be great in rock. Fall Out Boy, I truly love your use of sampling. Just don't tell anyone I listen to you, or I'll lose my cool, music snob cred. 

    A good throwback sample in a song, like sampling Suzanne Vega in Centuries allows a new generation to experience the music of artists they may never have heard of before.  Who doesn't love hearing the Munsters Theme song in Uma Thurman?  

    My favorite thing about new music is discovering new patterns. Ah, my ADD brain is never satisfied unless it's getting new data and inputs. When I hear something catchy that I haven't heard before, I will play the heck out of that song! The serotonin flows and brings me all the happy.

    It's not like that for many people. There is comfort in the familiar. In the case of Pachelbel's Canon, it's in so many songs. Maroon 5 just released their new track, Memories. Guess what? It's another Pachelbel Canon piece.

   We have movie and television reboots. We have music covers. I love them both, but the overuse of Pachelbel's Canon is particularly hilarious. I wonder if some person is going to listen to Memories and think "wow, that's a great melody!" having no idea about the origin. 

   Do musicians sit around and think, "well I could come up with a new chord progression, but that's haaaard, let's just recycle Pachelbel again."

   Perhaps it's like a chain letter. When you are a successful musician, you get a letter telling you that you must use Pachelbel's Canon in your next song or you will have really bad luck. 

   For that matter, maybe descendants of Pachelbel are members of a secret mafia that force musicians to use the Canon, or else.  

   Of course, someone on Spotify kindly created a playlist of a bunch of the songs using Pachelbel's Canon (because I have LOADS of free time  😉). There are probably others that aren't on that list yet. I bet you can think of some additions. Let me know. I will dutifully update my playlist if you send me some. Enjoy!     
  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pondering Holiday Music

Zombie Prostitute

Why so Sirius?